It happens just about every other Shampoo/Wash Day…
I wake up extra early, dirty hair slightly damp and saturated in coconut oil, patting myself on the back for remembering to do a prepoo (moisturizing oil/conditioning treatment prior to shampooing)- “Yeahhh Ni-COLE”
I moonwalk into the bathroom, start lining up my cleansing situation- then I raise my head sharply!
“Is that smell…pancakes?”
You can probably figure out the rest of my day from there- starts out like the left, and ends like the right:
I put off starting my wash regimen, until its time to go to bed, and guiltily stare at my now somewhat dry, oily, sad curls- and wonder “Maybe, I have the energy for a cowash?”…Yeah RIGHT. Lies!
Um, time for the ultra exclusive, super necessary, not at all due to being lazy,
10 step, 48 hour Pre-Poo Technique!
(I’m trying hard to make this is a real thing.)
2. Spritz lightly with water. Damp not soaked.
3. Liberally apply Extra Virgin Coconut (or Olive) Oil.
4. Gently remove easily detanglable shed hairs and knots. Twist each section. Apply scarf/bonnet and go to bed.
5. Wake up with genuine intentions of cleansing strands. Make minimal progress towards actually preparing for this.
6. Sit in front of a TV, in a comfortable room, with snacks and remote in reach and prepared full DVR- ideally with suspenseful, ‘ripped from the headlines,’ programming (Lifetime movies, or Law&Order: SVU)
7. Wait 8-12 hours. Just. Sit. There.
8. Head to bed, completely forgetting why you smell like a piña colada. Be totally tired, and eager to get to bed- this prepoo method is most effective when you’re really exhausted.
9. Get your tooth brushing on- and catch sight of yourself in the mirror. Stare in shock and dismay for 3-5 minutes.
10. Shrug your shoulders as you reach for your scarf and exit the room for bed.
I’m not exactly sure what results this technique is supposed to provide to your hair- beside delaying the inevitable, making you ‘settle’ for a cowash, or be late to the office/wedding/bar mitzvah you have to attend early the next morning. At least those are my results. But your experience may vary.
Ha ha ha! Though the prepoo stage in the regimen also is code for “might happen today…maybe tomorrow…it can wait!” I don’t think it’s a 48 hr must. Looking forward to Zola the Fro’las big spa day tomorrow- in the meantime, thank goodness for scarves!
Curly, have you ever had a wash day go left…when you expected it to go right?