Before I even get into the deets of this post, can I get props for keeping a protective style in for two weeks?! You know when the two week mark rolls around I’m usually looking for excuses to take a weave out- but I’m in a great place- and loving my new look!
That said, I’m still an all natural curly girly, and as part of maintaining my own hair, I cowash once a week. This moisturizes my natural hair, and keeps my scalp clean. It also causes my leave out to revert back to its curly state, and look less than blendable with my ‘silky malay lay’ (Haha) weave!
That’s not hot! And because natural hair comes first, I had to find a heatless, damage free method to straighten my leave out for blending.
How to HEATFREE straighten/blend your leave out curly natural hair
- Whipped Shea Butter or Aloe Vera Gel for 4a or looser textures (EcoStyler gel for 4b or curlier textures)
- Two Large Plastic, with holes Curlers
- Two duckbill hair clips
1. On clean, moisturized and sealed hair, place your part in your leave out- I like a center part- and on one side of hair, apply a good amount of the holding product (shea or gel) to the hair.
2. Using the large curler, roll the hair as tightly as you can, making sure to keep it super smooth.
3. Repeat the process on the other side
4. Allow hair to dry completely (takes me about 1.5 hrs). Then remove rollers gently
Voila! Straight hair, no heat! Of course, its not going to be ‘relaxer’ straight, and if you get caught in a rainstorm- you’ll be back to curly- but it does the trick, and most importantly- PROTECTS YOUR NATURAL HAIR!
Woo Hoo!! This definitely lets me enjoy the occasional weave (guilt free)- and invite a little ‘silky swang’ in my life! Have a great week, Curlies!
Do you have a damage free method of blending hair? Do you just stick with curly weaves?